It’s about that time of year again. Yep, the 4th of July! 🎆 Can you believe it? It feels like 2018 arrived just yesterday and, here we are, halfway through the year already. Just like most families in the United States, we are excitedly celebrating down at my grandparents’ house, right off the Atlantic Ocean. Boat rides and fun memories with family and friends ensue, but I first wanted to explain why it’s important to keep your furry babe at the top of your mind when it comes to this celebratory (and loud) holiday.
My dog, Savannah, will be coming with us on our daytime boat ride, as she always does. Afterall, no one will be setting off fireworks in the middle of the day when the sun is shining its brightest. However, when it comes time for the big event to take place, she will be back at the house, safe and sound, with her great-grandparents (yep, I’m that kind of dog owner). As much as you’d like to give your dog fresh air and include him/her in one of America’s favorite holidays, this time of year is infamous for the most lost dogs and injuries.
Here are 4 reasons why you should keep your dog inside on July 4th:
- Fireworks — Our pets don’t know the source of those loud pops and booms we call fireworks. Instead of taking your pet outside with you when it comes time to enjoy, keep them feeling safe in a comfortable room with all of the blinds shut and music playing (the tv works, too!).
- Alcohol — While some may stay away from having drinks on the 4th, there’s a good amount of people that don’t. Although it should already be common sense, alcohol must be kept away from pets. Not only is it toxic to animals, but if you are drinking, there’s a good chance you won’t be in the right state of mind to take care of your pet.
- Table food — Hamburgers, hotdogs, and barbecue chicken. Yum, now I’m making myself hungry. These foods may not be the worst items for pets to get into, but the condiments that go with them are. Just like any ordinary day, you should keep your pet from eating any toxic foods such as onions, avocados, grapes, and raisins. If you have guests over, there could be a large quantity of these laying around! So keep an eye out.
- Glow sticks and sparklers — We all would like to think our dogs are smart, but sometimes accidents can happen – even accidents that involve them finding a new toy and chewing on it. Glow sticks contain a toxic chemical called Dibutyl Phthalate, which is harmful to both us and our dogs. If ingested, it will cause an intense reaction that will require immediate veterinarian attention. Although sparklers don’t make much sound, they fall under the same criteria as fireworks and can pose as an even greater danger to your pet.
The 4th of July is one of the busiest times of the year for rescues and shelters due to the high amount of animals that run away. To prevent this from happening to you, please keep your pet inside during our nation’s holiday and have your pet properly identified with a collar, harness, or microchip. This will ensure that you and your pet will reunite if, for any reason, he/she escapes.
Savvy Paws wishes you and your family a safe and happy Independence Day! ❤️💙 Tag us in your furry babes’ 4th of July pictures on one of our social media platforms down below.